Viggle is a second screen platform with a community of over 3 million users, and over 24 million TV check-ins per month. Viggle gives its users points for watching and interacting with TV shows that they can later redeem for rewards — like gift cards, magazine subscriptions and electronics.
Now, Viggle is offering developers a way to get their apps in front of Viggle’s huge user base by creating mobile web apps that make the TV-watching experience even better.
By entering the Viggle AppJam, you can not only tap into the Viggle community, but also access Viggle’s ad server for free. Viggle will work with each developer who uses ads from their server to create an equitable revenue sharing opportunity.
Okay, I’m in. What kind of app should I make?
Apps can be anything from simple, static content experiences -- like video playlists or photo slideshows -- to fully immersive games where users can interact with one another and earn Viggle points. Not sure what to make? Check out the 120+ app ideas submitted by Viggle users!
The nitty gritty... submitted apps must:
Integrate with Viggle’s native iOS and Android apps
Be related to the TV watching experience and/or shows that have been or are currently aired on TV (no online-only shows)
Be new, or if you're updating an existing app, include new features, functionality, and content. (Apps on the Viggle Platform or using the Viggle API prior to the submission period are ineligible.)
$49,000 in prizes
Best Overall App - Grand Prize
Best Overall App - Second Prize
Best Overall App - Third Prize
Best Synchronized TV App
Best Social TV App
Special Jury Prize
(This prize can be split into up to three prizes.)
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
- Participants: Individuals (at least 18 years in age); Teams; Organizations (up to 50 employees)
- Countries of Legal Residence: United States
- Large Organization Participants: Organizations with over 50 employees may compete for the non-cash Viggle Recognition Award.
Submitted apps must be related to the TV watching experience and/or show(s) that have been or are currently aired on TV. (Apps that focus on online-only shows will not be eligible.)
- Categories (for category prizes only) include: Synchronized TV App and Social TV App (details)
- Platforms: Mobile web browsers for iOS and Android
- New & Existing Apps: The submitted TV companion app may be new or existing, however if the app existed prior to the start of the competition, the submitted version must include substantial modifications made after the competition started (new features, functionality and/or content). Apps available on Viggle or using the Viggle API before the competition are not eligible.
How to enter
- Click “Register” to sign up for the challenge
- Download Viggle on the App Store or Google Play and create a Viggle account.
- Access the VIggle API by signing up as a Viggle Developer. (Click the link in Section 1.1)
- Review the Viggle Developer pages for important documentation and best practice tips.
VP of Product, Viggle
Craig C. Woerz
Managing Partner, Watercooler Group, MediaStorm
CEO and Founder, Watchwith
Gatorade Innovation Representative
State Farm Innovation Representative
McDonald's Innovation Representative
Quality of Idea
Includes creativity and originality and potential to enrich the second screen experience.
Implementation of Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer and how well the app integrates with the Viggle platform.
Overall User Experience
Includes design, graphics, typography, and visual aesthetic.